I'm a huge fan of Jessica Scott. and her Coming Home series was my first introduction to her work. I can't believe we've already reached the fifth and final book in the series, and I can't wait to read It's Always Been You!
Top 5 Ingredients for Keeping a Series Fresh
It is so hard to keep a series going. I look at long running series that have remained solid book after book and I always wonder what it is the author is doing that keeps me from getting bored and coming back for more.
1. I think the first thing you have to do is keep the story arc moving along. You can't get stuck telling the same story over and over again, which is a really easy rut to get into.
2. You have to care about the next book as much as the last. Which is really tough, honestly because at some point, you the author might get bored and if you're bored writing it your readers will be bored reading it.
3. Keep the characters interesting. You have to keep pushing the characters beyond what you think you're ready to deal with as the author. Pushing your own boundaries is a great way to keep the reader coming back for more, too.
4. Take a break. I think if you write and write and write, you run the risk of burning out. I've done it at least three times now. But when I take a break and go on a reading bender, I usually find my way into a new story. Sometimes it takes me by surprise.
5. Write something completely different. I wrote Before I Fall over Christmas break in 2014. I hadn't written anything other than the coming home books prior to that and it felt so amazing to write something completely new and divergent from what I normally wrote. Coming back to finish up the military romance series then felt like coming home. I missed them, if that makes sense?
a Rafflecopter giveaway