Thanks so much for having me as your guest today. Love the name of the blog! I think I want to use it as the title for my memoirs. Hic!
Next Tuesday, I have a new book out (I’ll drink to that!). It’s called WHAT A DUKE DARES and it’s number three in my Sons of Sin series. If any of you have read the other SoS books, you’ll know Camden Rothermere, the Duke of Sedgemoor, Mr. Cool, Calm and Composed (that doesn’t last in this story!).
At the start of Duke, Cam proposes to his childhood friend Penelope Thorne. To his utter amazement, she says no and hares off to Europe, seemingly preferring the company of an eccentric aunt to becoming his duchess. You can see why he doesn’t stick to cool, calm and composed!
I wondered what Pen would pack when she runs away from a marriage proposal from the most eligible man in England. Here’s what she told me:
1. SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL by Helen Gurley Brown. The full title of this publishing sensation from 1962 says it all for our Regency heroine. SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL: THE UNMARRIED GIRL’S GUIDE TO MEN. Pen intends to do her best to forget the arrogant but breathtakingly attractive Duke of Sedgemoor, and Europe is full of attractive men to help her!
2. Her swimming costume. There’s a scene or two in the book where things get very watery. I had a watery first kiss in A RAKE’S MIDNIGHT KISS. The first kiss in WHAT A DUKE DARES gets positively oceanic before it’s over!
3. Her pistol. The first time Pen and Cam meet after the disastrous proposal is during a bandit attack in the Alps. Cam might be the heroic type (actually, he is), but Pen’s not the sort to faint and complain when there are bad guys to be chased off with a shot or two.
4. Flea powder. You’d think a woman traveling with one of the richest men in England would stay in luxurious accommodation. But unfortunately, the backroads of Italy are full of ratty, ramshackle inns. Even worse, some of them don’t have more than one bedroom available for a man and woman pretending to be married. What is a headstrong heroine to do?
5. The HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DUKE series. Did you know HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DUKE has a linked series all about what to do with troublesome, fire-breathing noblemen? Pen has been studying these books very closely, but the techniques don’t seem to work on Cam the way they do on the cooperative duke in the stories. Even once they get back to England, he’s still a troublesome project for our heroine. Perhaps Cam’s been reading HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DUCHESS?
So if you were running away from home, what five things would you pack?
a Rafflecopter giveaway