Please welcome Dahlia Donovan joining us with her recent paranormal romance, IVY!
Want in on a little known author secret?
We make a lot of shit up.
So when I started getting into the nitty gritty of including a paranormal element to Ivy, I did what any good author does and researched the pack behaviour of wolves. It wasn’t until I was well into the writing of the first version of Ivy that the idea of a group of shifters that were of misfits who wouldn’t normally go together came to me. They insinuated themselves into my brain and wouldn’t shut up.
I did what any good writer would do, I wrote about them.
The Blackbird pack currently consists of wolves, panthers, cougars and foxes.
Ivy somehow managed to stumble her way into the only security firm in London that consisted of former military officers who occasionally turn into furry creatures with four legs. She has a knack for finding trouble and it makes her an incredibly fun character to write, and, I hope, read about.
So here’s a little bit of the mythos I built, at least in my own head, for the Blackbird pack:
- It’s genetically inherited no random bite or strange test tube illness.
- To Gareth’s chagrin, they aren’t completely super human. They heal a little faster and are a little stronger than average, but nothing like in the movies. He really wanted me to make them super human.
- The full moon doesn’t make them any more insane than they already were.
- They age like everyone else, and can die just like everyone else.
- It’s a fifty-fifty shot for whether their children will suddenly turn into wolf pups while in the crib.
- The mate bond is for life. It’s a deep connection that allows for insight into each other’s minds and emotions. Steve insists it’s a good thing. Gareth reminds him of that whenever they’re in the dog house for something they felt.
- Each pack has its own doctor. It’s hard to convince a regular pediatrician than the two year old he just gave a shot to is the same as the tiny fox currently sitting on the chair.
- There are packs all over the world. The Blackbird pack is unique as it contains a mixture of shifters.
(Blackbird Series #1)
by Dahlia Donovan
Published May 19th 2014 by Dahlia Donovan
Goodreads | Amazon | B&N
Widowed photographer Ivy Langdon avoids people in general after her husband’s death. She ventures out days before Christmas for last minute gifts and stumbles into the middle of a terrorist attack in London. Will her luck ever change?
Steven Samuels and his partner Gareth Richardson are called in with their company, Blackbird Security Firm, to rescue the hostages. They never expected to find their perfect mate while saving the world. The more the two wolves learn about Ivy, the more that they want to make her theirs.
Love is never simple or straight-forward and life is often stranger than fiction.
Ivy finds herself drawn into a strange world of shifters and human traffickers.
Can love’s true bite find her before trouble does?
About the Author:
Dahlia is a bit of a hermit. She’s happiest with a large mug of coffee or tea (two sugars and drop or two of milk) and a good book. She lives for comfortable jeans and over-sized sweaters. Ivy is her first novel and it started life as an attempt to complete National Novel Writing Month.
Find Dahlia online at: http://dahliadonovan.wordpress.com/Twitter: https://twitter.com/DahliaDonovanFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/dahliadonovan.