Please give a warm welcome to author, Samantha Ann King!
Five Key Elements of a Ménage Romance
My ménage romances have evolved naturally. The characters didn’t go looking for a threesome to add excitement to their sex lives. They grew out of friendship, suppressed desire and love. So when I discuss the five key elements of a successful ménage, that’s where I’m coming from. But I suspect all ménages could benefit them. What are those elements?
1. First the obvious. More than two people. Fortunately, I had seven years of French in school, so I can translate all the combinations for you.
Ménage à trois – household for three
Ménage à quatre – household for four
Ménage à cinq – household for five
Ménage à six (I know it looks like six and it means six, but it’s not pronounced like six.)—household for six
Ménage à sept – household for seven
I could go on, but I won’t. However, it’s good to know all those years of counting to a hundred in French paid off.
2. Communication. Not just what goes where, but expectations, and who got his feelings hurt and why. Tune into your significant others’ feelings. Know when to talk and when to shut up. Ask questions and listen to the verbal and nonverbal answers. That pissy little eyebrow lift is saying something.
3. An openness to love’s possibilities. You’ve heard it before. Love comes in many forms. You may not think you’re bisexual, but if you’re open to it, you won’t freak out if your straight male tongue suddenly wants to play in your girlfriend’s boyfriend’s mouth.
4. Quality time in the ménage and in smaller units. Those two guys who are having sex with one woman need guy time even if they’re not sexually involved. And that lucky woman with two perfect men needs time alone with each of them. Yep, sometimes three’s a crowd. For that matter, sometimes two’s a crowd.
5. Respect between everyone. Can you imagine sharing your lover with someone you don’t respect or like? Just hang it up, because it ain’t gonna work.
Of course, when I’m writing a romance, not everything goes smoothly, so the characters might stumble through these elements. Sometimes, learning the hard way is the only way.
Those are my five key elements of a successful ménage romance. What would you add?
Prize: $25 gift card to Amazon/Barnes and Noble (winner’s choice, open internationally).
a Rafflecopter giveaway