I asked Colorado native Sara Richardson to list her top places to visit in Aspen, which is also where her new book, No Better Man, takes place!
Top 5 Places to visit in Aspen, Colorado
1. Maroon Bells – The Maroon Bells (Maroon Peak and North Maroon Peak) are the most photographed peaks in Colorado. Yes, it’s a huge tourist destination, but there’s a reason thousands of visitors flock to get a glimpse of these pyramid-shaped peaks. They are breathtaking.
2. The Grottos – This is a hidden gem located east of Aspen as you drive up Independence Pass. If you pull off highway 82, you can take a short hike and explore these fairy-like ice caves along with a cascading waterfall. It’s magical.
3. Aspen Mountain – You can’t visit Aspen without taking the gondola up Aspen Mountain. In the summer, you can hike or bike down, and in the winter the skiing is unbelievable. There’s nothing quite like the powder in Aspen.
4. J-Bar – This bar at the historic Hotel Jerome attracts both celebrities and locals. The authentic old west ambiance and creative selection of drinks make it a truly rustic mountain experience. When you go, be sure to ask for one of their specialty drinks—the Aspen crud.
5. Conundrum Hot Springs – If you’re looking for an adventure you can’t find anywhere else, you can take the eight-and-a-half mile hike to Conundrum. (That’s one way. Uphill.) Most people camp at one of the designated sites near the springs and take advantage of the opportunity to soak in the natural, 104-degree pools. Fair warning—there is an unspoken rule at Conundrum that swimsuits are optional.
a Rafflecopter giveaway