Holiday Bon Appétit and a Book:
Luxurious Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups of milk (whole is best)
- 8 ounces of high-quality chocolate … I like Guittard semisweet chips. White chocolate works too, for a different taste.
- 3 teaspoons of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (pure, not imitation)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Finely chop the chocolate. Even if using chocolate chips, the smaller the pieces, the better it will dissolve in liquid. On low heat in a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a low boil, whisking occasionally to keep from scorching. Add the vanilla, powdered sugar, salt and chocolate and whisk vigorously until the chocolate has melted. Heat for another 4 minutes, constantly stirring. Serve with a dollop of real whipped cream.
- You can add lots of things to this recipe: Mint, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick. Whatever your preference. Just add herbs or spices to the milk while simmering. After it boils, remove from heat and let the milk steep for 10 minutes then strain off your add-ins and return to simmer before adding the chocolate and other ingredients.