Ten Things I’m Thankful For
1. My husband is always the first person who comes to mind when I’m asked about my blessings. He helped me climb out of a very dark place, believed in me when I didn’t, and pushed me to self publish my first book after I had given up after ten years of rejections from the traditional publishing industry. He’s an angel – sweet, generous, brilliant and funny. I wouldn’t be where I am today without him!
2. My sister. She’s my best friend, the zen to my mercurial moods, the one person who doesn’t laugh when I stumble over words, because I’m too distracted to think before speaking. She’s been my best friend since we were little. I always tell people – she’s good at being human, because she can manage reality and the real world, both of which tend to baffle me. Haha! She’s an amazing person in every way.
3. Living the life of my dreams. Every day is and incredible gift to me, and there are some days when I think I must be dreaming to be so fortunate. I’m living a life I only dreamt about before and am following my calling: to write, write, write!
4. The gift to touch the lives of others through writing. It’s hard to explain to people how I do what I do except to say that I’ve been given an incredibly amazing gift, and I use it to entertain, console, empathize and generally to reach out to people. Sometimes I help amuse them for a few hours, and sometimes, I help them grapple with dark days. I feel honored to have this ability.
5. A second chance. I royally screwed up my life a few years ago and yet, I’m here now, doing what I love and loving every day I wake up knowing I’m living my dreams. It’s difficult to start over. I went through foreclosure, repossession, a depressive break … it was a very rough transition to get here but worth it. Sometimes life isn’t easy, but those rough times help prepare us for something truly spectacular.
6. My fans. My admin team (who helps manage my social media and marketing) is made up of some of my most rabid fans. They’re beautiful people inside and out; they help authors because they love books. They’re absolutely amazing in that they devote their time and energy into helping me spread the word about my books. I never imagined that people could be so selfless and wonderful, and I’m grateful every day for them!
7. Health! I can’t harp on this one enough. I’m not only grateful for my health but for that of my family, friends, fans, and even my puppies! There is nothing more important than being healthy!
8. Inspiration and muses. I’m not sure how to describe these, aside from the fact I never get writer’s block, never have a dearth of ideas, never stop dreaming of new stories. I have a folder on my computer with a few dozen stories I’ve started, and a zillion more that I want to write. Wherever this inspiration comes from, I’m always astonished by the stories and how fresh, new, different and unique they are!
9. The beauty around me. I do my best to recognize the beauty in the world. I love nature and how spectacular it really is. Our world is incredible, from the moon and stars to the mountains, deserts, open skies and wildlife around where I live.
10. Being me. I took a very bizarre path to get to a point in my life where I’m comfortable with myself, from my chubby thighs, bad back, bouts of depression and unusual writing ability. Everything I once viewed as a weakness or something I should be ashamed of – I now view as a gift, one that makes me stronger, teaches me lessons that help me relate to others and challenges me to become a better person. I’m grateful to be who I am and proud of what I’ve become over the years.
a Rafflecopter giveaway