Please give a warm welcome to urban fantasy author, S.J. McMillan, who is joining us today with her book City of the Gods: The Descendants!
This is my first official guest blog for my City of the Gods: The Descendant virtual book tour. Thank you for having me! I’m a new author and I thought it might sound a bit pretentious of me to give advice to aspiring and/or new authors. And I’m not sure how much readers really want to hear about what I do when I’m not writing. We are all busy little bees buzzing about, and I’m no exception. I’m working on the second book of the trilogy while readers are hopefully enjoying the first installment. So I thought I would do something fun for this post, not to mention add a bit of shameless self-promotion in with it. So here it is…The Top 5 Reasons I, as the author, Think You Should Read City of the Gods: The Descendant.
5. You want action? Adventure? A bit of horror? A dash of romance? Well, this book has all that and more. There are sticky situations for the characters to get out of, daring rescues, good vs. evil fights, and evil vs. evil fights. There are also scenes that should have you on the edge of your seat wondering how the heroine is going to get out of the predicament she has found herself in. while the romance is secondary to the main plot, it’s still there. It’s a sweet romance that neither one of the main characters are sure they are ready for, or really want.
4. Best Friends – You may just have found two new besties in Vivian and Sabine. While they are complete opposites, there is one thing they agree on, keeping Katalina safe. They give her all the love, support, and guidance she could possibly need, but they also joke and tease with her like only best friends can.
3. The Villain – In this book, Damian is one badass mofo. He’s conniving. He’s malicious. He does whatever he wants, whenever he wants, to get his way. He enjoys every minute of it. I wouldn’t want to run into him in a dark alley, or hell, even in a well-lit busy street.
2. The Hero- Tristan is everything you could want in a hero and more. He’s smart and successful. He’s good looking. He’s protective, but not overly so. He’s also been blessed by the Gods. Not too many heroes can say that.
2. The Heroine – Katalina is a normal girl, or at least she thinks so. She has a job, a house, and an ex-fiancé who is a major pain in the tush. She tries to be strong but she knows her weaknesses. Her biggest downfall is the doubt she has in herself, but her friends are helping her with that.
And the number one reason to read City of the Gods: The Descendant…
1. This is a trilogy. The story doesn’t end with this book. I’m already hard at work on the second book and it starts off where this book ends.
700 A.D. Teotihuacan, Mexico – The High Priest believed himself to be as powerful as the Gods and set a plague on the city as a demonstration of his power. The Gods took pity on the few remaining survivors and granted each immortality and an extraordinary ability. Three of these survivors were given a mission of great importance: train the lone human descendant of their civilization to stop the evil priest from damning the rest of humanity.2012 A.D. San Diego, California – The time has come to make Katalina Deckard aware of her destiny. Her life has been a constant struggle since the loss of her parents when she was young, but has it prepared her to save the world? Can her friends, who have survived so long ,convince her she has what it takes to accept the mantle of Redeemer?
Add to Goodreads
About the Author:
I am an author signed on with Ruby Lioness Press. I am beyond excited that my urban fantasy novel, City of the Gods: The Descendant, has finally found a home.
I play many roles in life, as we all do. I am a wife to a supportive husband, a mother to three young rascals, and an administrative assistant during the week just to name a few. Now I will finally get to add published author to my list.
I started writing poetry in high school. I enjoy poetry and still write a poem whenever inspiration hits me. I love to read, especially paranormal romances and urban fantasies. The love of reading spawned the urge to try writing a novel of my own.
One of my favorite parts of writing a book is creating the characters. I immerse myself into their lives. I laugh when they laugh and cry when they cry. I cheer them on in their triumphs and encourage them in their struggles.
I have also come to enjoy writing fight scenes. Don’t laugh, but my husband (the wonderful man that he is) will act them out with me so I know exactly how I need to show it to the audience. Call us crazy if you want but it is really fun to act out a scene using a broom handle as a spear and a foam baseball bat as an axe.
I hope you enjoy City of the Gods: The Descendant. I am working on the follow up book now. I love to hear from other authors and readers!
We have one ebook to give away to one reader today of, City of Gods: The Descendants by SJ McMillan. To enter, just leave a comment on this post and then fill out the rafflecopter below. Additional entries are available but not required. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway