Today I would like to give a warm welcome to author, Susanna Fraser, who is joining us on tour with her book, An Infamous Marriage!
For me, a big part of the Regency Era’s appeal is its overlap with the Napoleonic Era. Of the books I’ve sold so far (three published to date, another coming in 2013), all but one has had a military hero, and even in that book, A Marriage of Inconvenience, the war is never far away from the protagonists’ minds.
My new release, An Infamous Marriage, begins with my hero, Jack Armstrong, entering a marriage of convenience partly to secure a caretaker for his ailing mother in England while he serves with his regiment in Canada. It ends at Waterloo. While most of the action takes place in the brief peace before Napoleon’s return from exile, Jack always thinks of himself as a soldier, a warrior.
So what is it about the Napoleonic Era and soldier heroes for me? Here are my Top Five reasons:
1) Sexy men in tight-fitting, blingy uniforms. ‘Nuff said.
2) Getting to write stoic, brave, honorable heroes--in uniform.
3) The wars provide an endless supply of adventure and danger, and therefore a neverending source of plots.
4) The outsized personalities of the era. I’m no admirer of Napoleon, but for better or worse there’s never been anyone quite like him. My favorite figure of the era is Wellington--cool-headed, snarky, stoic, and brilliant--but I also love Blucher, Michel Ney, and Eugene de Beauharnais, just to name a few.
5) The world went through so much upheaval between 1789 and 1815, and I can’t help wondering what it would be like to live through it all. Reading and writing about it gives me a chance to find out.
And now a question for you--what’s your favorite historical setting to read about, and why?
I’ll be giving one copy of An Infamous Marriage to a commenter on this post in your choice of e-book format, and at the end of the tour I'll be giving a one commenter on the tour as a whole grand prize of a $50 gift certificate to their choice of Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Powell's Books. You get one entry per blog tour stop you comment upon, so check out my blog for the whole schedule! If you wish to be entered in the gift certificate drawing, include your email address formatted as yourname AT yourhost DOT com.