Favorite holiday traditions.
Okay, I have to say that THIS is my favorite topic during my FAVORITE time of the year! I am all about Christmas and our family traditions. And the best part? I have two sons – ages 16 & 24 – and they are all about them too! If I try and skip something, they get furious with me because it means so much to them! So what are some of my favorites?
- We do a dessert open house on Christmas Eve. It started because we lived 500 miles away from all of our family and there were a lot of people in our church in the same position. So we opened our house to everyone on Christmas Eve for fun and fellowship and food! Everyone brings a dessert and it’s just wonderful!
- Pajamas as the first gift on Christmas Eve. My kids now HATE this tradition but it’s one that my parents had for me and my sister so it stays!
- Decorating the tree. This one has changed a bit in the last few years because our older son moved out of state. So the dynamics for tree shopping and decorating has changed, but we still make it a family effort and our tree is covered in ornaments that all have a story or a sentimental element to them. It’s fun talking about all of them as we hang them on the tree.
- Meals. We are all about following tradition. Christmas Eve’s meal is compliments of my husband’s family – a traditional Italian fish sauce. Seven different fish served over linguine and it’s awesome. Christmas morning we have a traditional (for us) breakfast that started out when I was a little girl – pepperoni omelets. I know it sounds weird but trust me, they are amazing!!
- And finally, after we moved away from our families, we started the tradition of staying home on Christmas Day. Why? When the boys were younger, it was important for us to just have the time at home for them to enjoy their gifts and be able to play. Now as we’re all older, it’s just simply because it’s not often that we’re all together anymore and I like to have that day to just be at home and be thankful for the time.
Sourcebooks is offering a giveaway copy of Always My Girl to one reader! (US & Canada only please.) To enter, just fill out the rafflecopter below. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway