Welcome to Sangria Saturday, where ever Saturday you will find a delicious sangria recipe to go with your weekend reading! Have a recipe of your own? Join the fun and leave us a comment or a link to your own post!
Sparkling Strawberry Kiwi Sangria
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1 lb kiwis
- 1 cup light rum
- 1 bottle white wine (such as sauvignon blanc)
- 1 bottle sparkling wine, chilled (such as cava)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 oranges
- A pitcher or other large container
- Hull the strawberries and cut them in half. Peel the kiwis and cut them into slices.
- Combine half of the halved strawberries, the sugar, and the water in a saucepan, and turn the heat up to medium. Bring the mixture to a boil and then let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the strawberries seem like they’re about to fall apart. Let cool for a few minutes, and then, using a mesh sieve, strain the strawberry goodness into a bowl. Place the syrup in the refrigerator to cool.
- Combine the kiwi slices and the remaining strawberries in a pitcher, and add the rum, white wine, strawberry syrup, and the juice of three oranges*. Stir well and then refrigerate for four hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, add three-quarters of the chilled sparkling wine to the pitcher. Pour into glasses and spoon in fruit, topping off each glass with remaining champagne.
*Can substitute with a few splashes of bottled orange juice, or even lemonade, for the fresh orange juice.