Please give a warm welcome to contemporary romance author, Tamara Morgan!
5 Awesome Powers, 5 Not-So-Awesome Powers
There is no way to write a superhero story without making a list of the best-ever superpowers (or the worst-ever ones). Forget the characters. Forget the science. Forget the worldbuilding. What’s really important when it comes to magical worlds is the superpowers—more specifically, what I would do if I had them for my very own.
Would I sit and cry about the spider bite that changed my life forever? No way. Give me spidey senses and all the accompanying tingles. Would I feel bad about growing big and green and destroying all the people who made me mad? Heck, no! Let the TAMARASMASHing begin.
In fact…here’s my top 10 list of superpowers I would and would not want to have.
5 Awesome Powers
· Teleportation: I want to spend the morning drinking coffee in Paris, the afternoon lounging on a beach in Hawaii, and still be home in time for dinner.
· Osmosis Learning: What would be cooler than putting a book under my pillow at night and waking up with all the information neatly stored inside my brain?
· Super Sarcasm: A la Tony Stark, if you please.
· Invisibility: We can blame this on my inherent nosiness. I want to eavesdrop and spy and maybe sometimes break into banks to steal things.
· Flying: I’d even wear a cape to make it look cool.
5 Not-So-Awesome Powers
· Pillow Hands: I don’t even know what this is, but it doesn’t sound very fun.
· Super Smell: I think we can all agree that excessive olfactory skills would be more of a curse than a blessing in this world.
· Time Travel: Great in theory, but I would worry far too much about that whole space-time-continuum thing to have any real fun. It would really be the power of time travel/ulcers.
· Shapeshifting: I’ve watched the Twilight movies. This looks painful.
· Empath: Meh. Inherently knowing how people feel and manipulating their emotions might make you a really good candidate for a romance heroine, but there’s not nearly enough flash and bang for me.
As you can see, it’s probably not a very good idea for me to become a superhero. I’d spend way too much time having fun and not nearly enough saving the world.