Angelic Devil's Food Cakeby Lisa Beth Darling
When I'm not working, writing, or gardening, one of my favorite things to do is baking especially when the weather turns colder. I can't help myself, I get it from my mom who made wedding cakes for more than twenty years.
To celebrate the release of "The First Sin" (South of Eden) wherein we have angels, Olympians, and the Devil himself, I thought I'd share my recipe for Angelic Devil's Food Cake.
It's a good dessert to make for special occasions or whenever you're in the mood to bake up some light, fluffy, chocolatey goodness.
Heat oven to 350
- 2/3 cup softened butter (try not to use margarine as it won't be anywhere near as good)
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ ounces unsweetened baker's chocolate (use semi-sweet if you prefer)
- melted and cooled (you can do this in a microwave or a double-boiler)
- 2 ½ cups sifted cake flour (try not to use regular flour…get the good stuff!)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups ICE water (this important don't skimp this step)
- Sift together flour, soda, and salt—set aside in a separate bowl
- Cream together butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until fluffy (beat on high speed—more like medium high if you have a stand mixer—for 5 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally)
- Blend in cooled melted chocolate
- Continue beating on medium speed while alternately adding the sifted flour mixture and ICE water
- From here you can make the batter into cupcakes, which are yummy! Or you can use 2 9x11 round pans or 1 standard sheet pan. Whichever one you make will determine how long it bakes but roughly 28 to 35 minutes so keep an eye on it.
- Cool on cake rack
- Frost with your favorite icing—I prefer a fluffy white frosting for this but going for the Death by Chocolate is always a good option.